About Me

My photo
Byzantine Catholic convert, wife, mother to eight children.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

#metoo

#Metoo.   Those words are all over my newsfeed and each post truly breaks my heart. I hesitate to add my name to the list, because in comparison to many, the harassment that I have received has been fairly mild. However, I'm adding it now because every time a man talks to your chest instead of your face, every unwanted pinch, every intimidating stare, every demeaning cat call is an affront to the dignity of the human person. So many of these things happen so quickly that we feel embarrassed and confused but end up brushing it off because we don't know how to respond in that unexpected moment.  

 I believe the overwhelming majority of these abuses have been men violating women and children, but I have also encountered unwanted attention (and a thigh grab) from a woman who's intention was pretty clear as well. Men have told me of instances where they have been harassed and grabbed by women and their experiences are discounted because "he is a man and therefore must want it anyway". This has nothing to do with attraction, it has nothing to do with mutual flirtation, it has everything to do with power and intimidation. 

How do we fix this situation? I don't know. We can't force people to respect fellow human beings instead of seeing them as objects to promote their own power and pleasure. But we can stand up together and proclaim to the victims, "it is not your fault". We can believe and help victims when they come forward to tell their story.  We can shame and shun those who blatantly violate others. I pray that the #metoo movement is the first step to making us more aware of the abuses, both social and criminal, that are going on around us everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment